[digiKam-users] Possible bug in Digikam? Inconsistent behavior when adding new hierarchical tags in Digikam

Sebastian Bayer bayerse at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 19:59:37 BST 2019

Hi everyone,

some days ago I've posted a question concerning hierarchical tags in
Digikam at stackexchange:
https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/108739/inconsistent-behavior-when-adding-new-hierarchical-tags-in-digikam

One comment suggested that I could try to post this in the mailing list as
he suspected this to be a bug.
Here's the text of the original questions for completeness:

> Whenever I create a *new* hierarchical tag in Digikam (right-mouse click
> on image -> Assign Tag -> Add New Tag) then all hierarchy levels are
> applied to the image. For instance, if I have the hierarchy Tag 1 / Tag 2 and
> add a *new* tag Tag 1 / Tag 2 / Tag 3 to an image, then all tags Tag 1 /
> Tag 2 / Tag 3 are applied to the image.
> In contrast, when I add an *existing* hierarchical tag to an image, then
> only the bottom level is applied. Picking the example from above up, when I
> add Tag 3 to an existing image, then *only* Tag 3 is applied but not Tag
> 1 / Tag 2.
> I find this a bit inconsistent, as I now have some images with the full
> hierarchy and some with the bottom level only.
> Is there some way to standardize the behavior of Digikam?

Does anyone of you have an idea what could be the problem and have a remedy?

Thanks in advance and regards
Sebastian