[digiKam-users] Possible bug in Digikam? Inconsistent behavior when adding new hierarchical tags in Digikam

woenx marcpalaus at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 17 20:22:14 BST 2019

Hi Sebastian,

If Tag3 is placed at Tag1/Tag2/Tag3, and you only use the Tag3, the picture
will still contain the whole hierarchy internally (you can look it up at the
XMP metadata), but only Tag3 will be "checked". I personally, sometimes only
check the higher level of the hierarchy in order to avoid lots of tags in
the picture, because I feel they are redundant.

I just checked, and adding a new tag using the right-click, Assign Tag, Add
new Tag, adds all the tags of the hierarchy if these tags are new, but if it
is using an existing hierarchy, will only add the tag that you just added
within the hierarchy.

e.g. if Tag1 and Tag1/Tag2 do not exist, and you assign them, the new
picture will have: Tag1(✓)/Tag2(✓). If Tag1 already exists in the database,
and you assign Tag1/Tag2, the picture will have: Tag1( )/Tag2(✓). Of course,
you can just click on Tag1 afterwards and assign it manually.

I personally think it's intuitive this way. If you are adding new tags to
the database that do not previously exist, it assumes you want to assign all
of them. If you are adding a new tag inside an existing tag tree, only the
new tag is added (but within the hierarchy).