[digiKam-users] fuzzy search for duplicates - how to use?

Uwe Haider uwe.haider at gmx.net
Tue Jan 8 21:48:43 GMT 2019

Many thanks Mario,

for your explanations.

Am 08.01.19 um 10:23 schrieb Mario Frank:
[...]

I don't understand the part with the "reference album":
(please have a look inline)

>> Next pull down restriction "none" "restrict to reference album" /
>> "exclude reference album" ??
>>
>> What is the "reference Album" the first or the oldest album in the
>> album list? Can I select a reference album?
> This pull down menu gives you the possibility to restrict the images
> with which an image is compared.
> If you have an image in Album1 and one image in Album 2.
> If you choose "none", the images are compared.
> If you choose "restrict to reference album", the images are not compared.

Seems to be senseless for me????

> If you choose "exclude reference album", the images are compared.

Seems to function as "none"???

> To make it brief, the "reference Album" is the album of the image for
> which the duplicates are searched.

I don't select an image to look for its duplicates... I mark several
albums to compare them. My goal is to delete all duplicate images,move
the different images in the correct album and delete the empty
"leftovers-albums". How is the reference album chosen by digikam? Is it
the first marked album?

>> In the results list some pictures in several albums are marked as
>> reference. But I can't see why? There are albums in different album
>> trees marked as reference....
> Can you describe this more precise? I am not sure I understand what you
> mean.

OK, my english is a leftover from school... from the las centura :-) I
try my very best:

I have chosen 67 albums from 2 different album trees and searched the
duplicates. The result list is ordered by date and separated by album.

For the first xxx images the there were 3 albums with duplicates, images
in the second album are marked as "reference".

Suddenly... >xxx+1 image the reference image is located in the first
album. No new search, just a chance in the ordering of the result list.

I want to clean my album structure so I decide to delete the albums in
the "wrong" position in my trees. The reference is not important for
this decision. But I like to understand how it works...

--
Uwe Haider
uwe.haider at gmx.net