[digiKam-users] fuzzy search for duplicates - how to use?

Mario Frank mafrank at uni-potsdam.de
Tue Jan 8 09:23:23 GMT 2019

Hi Uwe,

I will answer inline.

Am 07.01.19 um 22:16 schrieb Uwe Haider:
> hi together!
>
> I try to clean up my collection with the fuzzy search for duplicates.
>
> First I have to build the fingerprints.
> Second step is to mark the folder/tags where to search.
>
> I don't understand the "restrictions":
>
> What is the pull down restrict to "only selected tab" / "one of" /
> "both" / "albums but not text" / "tags but not albums" for ??
This pull down menu gives you the possibility to search for duplicates
both in albums and tags.
Consider you selected Album1 and Album2 in the albums tab and Tag1 and
Tag2 in tags tab
and there are images that are in Tag1 but not in Album1 or Album2.
If you are currently in Albums tab, "only selected tab" will scan only
the images in Album1 and Album2.
If you choose one of, all images that are in Album1, Album2, Tag1 or
Tag2 are scanned. (mathematical union)
If you choose both, all images that are both in the albums and tags are
scanned. (mathematical intersection)
If you choose "albums but not tags", only images that are in the albums
but have neither Tag1 or Tag2 are scanned (mathematical difference).
"tags but not albums" is analogous to "albums but not tags".

> Next pull down restriction "none" "restrict to reference album" /
> "exclude reference album" ??
>
> What is the "reference Album" the first or the oldest album in the
> album list? Can I select a reference album?
This pull down menu gives you the possibility to restrict the images
with which an image is compared.
If you have an image in Album1 and one image in Album 2.
If you choose "none", the images are compared.
If you choose "restrict to reference album", the images are not compared.
If you choose "exclude reference album", the images are compared.

To make it brief, the "reference Album" is the album of the image for
which the duplicates are searched.
So the reference album is automatically chosen.

> In the results list some pictures in several albums are marked as
> reference. But I can't see why? There are albums in different album
> trees marked as reference....
Can you describe this more precise? I am not sure I understand what you
mean.

> After finding the duplicates I want to delete all. The result list is
> sorted by album and date. All albums together are containing ~ 250.000
> pictures. I expect to get ~ 50.000 duplicates - hit "delete" will make
> strong fingers :-(
>
> Can it run automatic?
Automatic deletion is not implemented, although it is technically not
really complicated.
But there was a long discussion and the problem is how to choose the
images to delete.
There are too many possible criterions, e.g. file type ("I want to have
PNG only"),
resolution, filesize and whatsoever.

Regards,
Mario