[digiKam-users] fuzzy search for duplicates - how to use?

Mario Frank mafrank at uni-potsdam.de
Wed Jan 9 08:31:24 GMT 2019

Hi Uwe,

You're welcome. I will answer inline again.

Am 08.01.19 um 22:48 schrieb Uwe Haider:
> Many thanks Mario,
>
> for your explanations.
>
> Am 08.01.19 um 10:23 schrieb Mario Frank:
> [...]
>
> I don't understand the part with the "reference album":
> (please have a look inline)
>

>>> Next pull down restriction "none" "restrict to reference album" /
>>> "exclude reference album" ??
>>>
>>> What is the "reference Album" the first or the oldest album in the
>>> album list? Can I select a reference album?
>> This pull down menu gives you the possibility to restrict the images
>> with which an image is compared.
>> If you have an image in Album1 and one image in Album 2.
>> If you choose "none", the images are compared.
>> If you choose "restrict to reference album", the images are not
>> compared.
>
> Seems to be senseless for me????
The example was too trivial to explain the functionality well, I think.

Okay: Consider you select Album 1 and Album 2.
In Album 1, you have two images, Image 1 and Image 2.
Image 2 is a nearly-duplicate of Image 1 with 90 % similarity (e.g. you
made series photos).
In Album 2, you have a duplicate of Image 1, let's call it Image 3.

When selecting "none", the result will be Image 1, Image 2 and Image 3
When selecting "restrict to reference album", the result will be Image 1
and Image 2.
This option is good if you have huge albums with potentially many
duplicates.

When selecting "exclude reference album", the result will be Image 1 and
Image 3.
This option is good if you do not care about duplicates in the same album.

>> If you choose "exclude reference album", the images are compared.
>
> Seems to function as "none"???
>

>> To make it brief, the "reference Album" is the album of the image for
>> which the duplicates are searched.
>
> I don't select an image to look for its duplicates... I mark several
> albums to compare them. My goal is to delete all duplicate images,move
> the different images in the correct album and delete the empty
> "leftovers-albums". How is the reference album chosen by digikam? Is
> it the first marked album?

You are right, you do not select images.
But If you select an album, a duplicates search is done for every
(reference) image in this album.
and for each of these duplicates searches, the reference album is the
album in which
the image is located.
So, in the example above, the reference album of Image 1 and Image 2 is
Album 1
and the reference album of Image 3 is Album 2.

>>> In the results list some pictures in several albums are marked as
>>> reference. But I can't see why? There are albums in different album
>>> trees marked as reference....
>> Can you describe this more precise? I am not sure I understand what you
>> mean.
>
> OK, my english is a leftover from school... from the las centura :-) I
> try my very best:
That's okay. :)

> I have chosen 67 albums from 2 different album trees and searched the
> duplicates. The result list is ordered by date and separated by album.
>
> For the first xxx images the there were 3 albums with duplicates,
> images in the second album are marked as "reference".
>
> Suddenly... >xxx+1 image the reference image is located in the first
> album. No new search, just a chance in the ordering of the result list.
>
> I want to clean my album structure so I decide to delete the albums in
> the "wrong" position in my trees. The reference is not important for
> this decision. But I like to understand how it works...
If you chose those 67 albums, and get duplicates, you get a list of
duplicates results (result list) in the left part of the panel
with a thumbnail, the filename of the image, the count of duplicates and
the average similatrity.
Each of these duplicates results has one "reference image" (or in German
"Referenzbild") which is the one
with the filename given in the left panel.

If you click on a duplicates result, you get the duplicates and the
result image (just for comparison) in the right panel.
The right panel is usually organised by album (but you can change this),
and you should have one and only one
reference image in the right panel.

The right panel is not sorted by the reference image. The sorting of the
right panel depends on the view configuration you have chosen.
If the panel shall be separated by albums, you get the albums in
lexicographical order.
The album content itself is sorted by the option you chose in view->sort
entries (in German "Einträge sortieren").
So the reference image can be shown in any album if you separate the
view by albums.

I hope I got you right. Otherwise, can you send some screenshots?