[digiKam-users] database pointed at subset of same files in rearranged folders

Ty Mayn tyrus.mayn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 05:23:26 GMT 2019

thank you for this caution.  I view the retention of records that dont map
to a current loaded collection to be an asset and I would expect the
maintenance purge to be sufficient.
I would hope an automatic purge at some arbitrary time (such as 2 weeks
that you estimate) should have a dialog message to the user letting it be
known that the fateful hour has arrived  for removal. Somehow carrying that
out silently after some wait seems the worst of both worlds. It is better
to force an unmatched record to  the surface for the user to attend to it
or just keep it on standby
 I would welcome just a statistics page that would state  sequentially each
of the named collections with load and unload (or disconnect) dates and a
count of the retained records  that are unused in relation to those old
collection pathways and furthermore unmatched into the current loaded
collections. Then the user is aware and can  cleanse at will.
    It is interesting that cleanse has a toggle to be either album or tag
based. Albums are folder trees essentially and in that sense they can be
made to align with past named collections. But it would be nice to have a
Maintenance menu which can be collection centric...meaning that it can
offer a list of past loaded collections and allow the folder tree for each
collection to be retrieved and cleansed independently. Overlaps of
successive named collections could be problematic.  Maybe I am speaking too
soon (or too late) if such tool already exists somewhere.
    On the matter of what a scan does .... I would welcome a programmers
observation. As I have stated in this thread it appears to be an additive
only process that looks for new file items in the album tree and adds
records, but not  removing any record that has become unrepresented in the
file image collection.   The  menu says "scan for new items" insinuating
that it is on the lookout for new incoming images and  the cleanse tool is
right below.
     As I have stated in this thread I believe these "behaviors" need to be
named and explicit and they should be displayed  in the text menus where
there is ample  whitespace available.
      Although I would like to know the firm answer to these questions via
maillist, I would like to see a sort of enhanced Menu which divulges larger
hints about the consequences of powerful actions sitting behind the
checkboxes.  Some new users are in a candy store and others are just
surrounded by fear or at least curiosity.
Ty