[digiKam-users] Digikam in low latency networks

woenx marcpalaus at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 20 18:15:54 GMT 2019

Ok, yes, before you tell me, I know Digikam is not meant to be used with
network storage units.

Anyway, I just wanted to check of anyone else has experienced this. I am out
of my country for a few months. I have Digikam 6.0 in my computer, with
local databases (in a m.2 ssd drive) and I can access my picture collection
remotely (either using sshfs or though a VPN).

The internet speed between the two hosts is not great, but not terrible
either (~50mbps). However, digikam takes ages to scan the collection for new
files. Something that over a local network should take less than 5 minutes,
it can take more than 12 hours over internet.

I realised that it is likely not a problem of the internet speed, but of the
latency, which is ~100ms in this case.

Is there any way to circumvent this problem and make it usable over an
internet connection?