[digiKam-users] Image resolution change

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sat Aug 24 06:51:47 BST 2019

On vendredi 23 août 2019 23:42:42 CEST Peter Albrecht wrote:
> Hello,
>
> to change the resolution of a JPG image do the following steps (I am using
> digikam 5.9.0 at the moment):
>
> 1. open the image in the editor (Menu > Item > Open...)
> 2. in the menu choose: Transform > Resize ...
> 3. enter new dimension on the right side
> 4. click "OK" button in the lower right corner
> 5. save the image
>

> If you have to change the resolution of several images, you can use the
> "Batch Queue Manager":
>
> 1. in album view select one or more images
> 2. in the menu choose: Item > Add to New Queue...
> 3. select a tool in the lower right corner: Base Tools > Transform > Resize
> 4. configure new dimensions in the upper right corner
> 5. click "Run" button in the toolbar

With your procedure, you change the size in pixels, not the resolution...

On the other hand, a digital image doesn't have an intrinsic size in inches,
only a size in pixels, so talking about the resolution (pixels/inch) of a
digital image is a bit meaningless.

Resolution plays a role when printing, in that printers can usually handle up
to 300-360 pixels/inch. Good for paper when viewed from ~30cm, already
overkill for canvas (where ~150 pixels/inch is the maximum), or posters veiwed
from a larger distance...

Remco