[digiKam-users] More on changing image resolution

Northern Colorado Event Photograph no.colo.event.photog at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 21:35:52 BST 2019

Yes, I understand that ". . . a digital image doesn't have an intrinsic
size in inches, only a size in pixels."

And I also understand that "Resolution plays a role when printing . . . ."

But that is my point.

Suppose you are processing (for example) a low res JPG image out of a smart
phone,  And you have a request for a print (4 x 6 or 5 x 7).

To provide a satisfactory print, it may make sense to increase the
resolution of this image.  Yes, I understand that this is not usually a
good idea and can potentially result in a number of issues with the final
product.

Nevertheless, it is worth a try, if for no other reason that to make the
requestor (customer/client) happy.

Now 300 ppi doesn't make sense in this case, but 120 or 150 might.

Unfortunately, if I correctly understand the messages in this thread, there
is no way in digiKam to make this change independent of changing the
dimensions (resizing) of the image.

BTW, FWIW, here a number of links to articles that can help both amateurs
and professionals obtain a better understanding of this topic:

Rediscover - Understanding Resolution - Luminous Landscape
https://luminous-landscape.com/rediscover-understanding-resolution/

Res-Demyst - Luminous Landscape
https://luminous-landscape.com/res-demyst/

The Truth About Resolution - CreativePro.com
https://creativepro.com/the-truth-about-resolution/

Understanding Resolution - Luminous Landscape
https://luminous-landscape.com/understanding-resolution/

ShortCourses-Pixels per Inch
http://www.shortcourses.com/sensors/sensors1-15.html

Peachpit: Creating and Managing Images > Changing Image Size and Resolution
http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=705532&seqNum=3&rl=1