[digiKam-users] Version 6 idea: store thumbnails as JPEG instead of PGF

Tac Tacelosky tacman at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 16:43:35 GMT 2018

I've been playing around with using the digikiam database as the back-end
to a web-based view of my photos.  Using MySQL as the backend database
makes this a pretty natural idea.

The thumbnails are stored in the database in PGF format.  Although there
are some advantages to using this, I'd like to propose that version 6 have
the option to store the thumbnail images in jpeg, even though it'll take up
more space.

I'm trying to avoid re-creating the thumbnails in the web view, and I can't
find anything that will convert PGF to JPEG or PNG within PHP, the language
I'm using for the web-based ui.

Thanks for your consideration.

Tac