[digiKam-users] Version 6 idea: store thumbnails as JPEG instead of PGF

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 17:01:56 GMT 2018

Hi,

Typically, using JPEG as a really disadvantage about thumbnail quality,
especially with Hdpi screen. For that, I'm not favorable to propose JPEG as
thumbs storage in DB.

But i still open. Your request is to create a digiKam back-end to a
web-based view photo collections. There are other standards for the web,
emerging step by step, based on wavelets compression, as Webp or Heic.

https://www.cnet.com/news/google-offers-jpeg-alternative-for-faster-web/
https://www.cnet.com/news/google-mozilla-av1-photo-format-could-outdo-aging-jpeg/

Both Webp and Heic are supported by ImageMagick, so PHP must do the
conversion in background :

https://www.imagemagick.org/script/formats.php

In other words, we need space optimization, quality and speed. For the 2
first ones, JPEG is not the right solution.

Else about PGF, which is not supported by ImageMagick, a simple converter
exists with libpgf, and can be called easily by PHP on you web server...

https://sourceforge.net/p/libpgf/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/pgf/

Best