[digiKam-users] exifdata not read consistently

Andreas T. Ege andreas at spheniscid.net
Wed Mar 7 21:55:13 GMT 2018

Hi there,

On 06.03.2018 13:54, Andrey Goreev wrote:
> I noticed such behavior too. What I also noticed is that usually digikam
> will show the image in the right place according to the sort order and
> will show tags, etc. after awhile.
> Not after re-reading the metadata from the image and not after
> refreshing the album but after some time.

Doesn't seem to work here. Either digikam shows the change immediately
or not at all.

What I have noticed now: the images where the exif data does not get
updated in digikam are all images that have nothing in digikam done to
them. If I assign a rating or a tag, and copy the exif data then,
digikam immediately recognises it.
It looks likely to me, it's the xmp files, as there's none if I haven't
processed the image in digikam at all but as soon as I assign a tag or
rating, there is one.
I got my settings to write both in the image and into sidecar. If I
change that to no sidecars, behaviour stays the same. If I change to
only write sidecars, the exif data does not seem to be recognized at all.

--
Sincerely,

Andreas T. Ege
Dr. med. vet., MRCVS, MABVA