[digiKam-users] Versioning of processed photos

Tac Tacelosky tacman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 14:24:56 GMT 2018

Is there any metadata associated with a final photo that indicates its
"source", the original file it started with?

I'm working with digiKam as my DAM, and using RawTherappee and occasionally
LightZone to process photos.  I'm also learning how to use the queues to
processed RAW photos within DigiKam.

I'm thinking that if I start off with MyPhoto.RAW, I can create derivative
photos from it and preserve the history by using filenames, e.g.

MyPhoto.RAF
MyPhoto.thumb.jpeg
MyPhoto.bw.jpeg
MyPhoto.final.jpeg

Is that the best way?  Or is there metadata somewhere that points back to
the original photos (Sidecar file, EXIF, etc.)

I figure this must be a pretty common question, and that maybe DigiKam
already handles it.

Thanks,

Tac