[digiKam-users] Best distro for digiKam? (user)

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Tue Jul 31 16:41:14 BST 2018

On 31.07.2018 16:39, Peter McD wrote:
> Am 31.07.2018 um 16:00 schrieb Andrey Goreev:
>> I think openSUSE with KDE is one of the best ones for digiKam. They keep
>> digiKam up to date and everything just works. ...
>
> I run Tumbleweed. If you can stand the weekly update-volume, this is the
> distribution. (I have not tried Arch, yet)
>
> But the most, really most important aspect is whether the distribution
> supports ALL your hardware the way you need it.
>
> Check that, I'm sure you will find a way to get the newest digikam for
> that distro, too.
>
> cu
> Peter

I run OpenSuse, right now 42.3, since Suse 6x, and in general am happy
with it. I guess it's a lot of just being accustomed. I like the easy
management tools ("Yast") to install and de-install programs.

I have never tried other distros but I think it's probably the same as
with Canon and Nikon users: mine is better than yours, where both are
the same good and all is a matter of taste.

So, if you're new to Linux, I'd try to install several of the common
distros (Ubuntu, Suse...) and play a little around with them to see
which one applies best to your personal taste.

I wouldn't go for a "cutting edge" distro like tumbleweed if you are not
familiar with all the tools to eventually repair things from an update.

Also check if that distro supports your hardware from scratch. I have
huge problems (unsolvable) with optimus (intel/nvidia graphics) which on
my asus laptop simply does not run correct (nvidia not at all, intel
with lots of annoyances). Don't know if other distros behave better with
that (I guess it's a general problem), but try them on your hardware.

Once you decided for a distro you most probably will stay with it for
many years, so invest some time to get a feeling for the differences.
You could install them in virtual systems (virtualbox), so that you can
even switch between them and compare directly.

Another thing to consider is what distro your friends are running - in
case you need help...
--
Daniel Bauer photographer Basel Málaga
https://www.patreon.com/danielbauer