[digiKam-users] Best distro for digiKam? (user)

leoutation at gmx.fr leoutation at gmx.fr
Tue Jul 31 17:20:21 BST 2018

On 07/31/2018 05:41 PM, Daniel Bauer wrote:
> I wouldn't go for a "cutting edge" distro like tumbleweed if you are not
> familiar with all the tools to eventually repair things from an update.
>
> Also check if that distro supports your hardware from scratch. I have
> huge problems (unsolvable) with optimus (intel/nvidia graphics) which on
> my asus laptop simply does not run correct (nvidia not at all, intel
> with lots of annoyances). Don't know if other distros behave better with
> that (I guess it's a general problem), but try them on your hardware.
Hi
I run Arch, rolling distribution, hourly/daily update.
In a distro, most problems come from kernel. I only run lts Arch
kernels.  For me, Arch is more stable than Debian-testing, Fedora or
Ubuntu. Nothing to "repair". I never had any problem with
nvidia/bumblebee/optimus (use dkms).
Digikam works fine, even with git version.
Important: with Arch, you have to know what you're doing. I don't think
it's a distro for beginners.

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/
https://aur.archlinux.org/