Displaying albums/pictures on the fly while scanning for new photos

Andrey Goreev aegoreev at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 17:15:24 GMT 2018

It kind of works in digikam.The initial scan takes a lot of system resources and makes digikam almost unusable during the process.But when you add new items to your collection after that it usually does not slow down digikam that much which allows you to keep using the software while the new pictures being added.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: woenx <marcpalaus at hotmail.com> Date: 2018-01-27  6:37 AM  (GMT-07:00) To: digikam-users at kde.org Subject: Displaying albums/pictures on the fly while scanning for new photos
Hello,

I am a former Picasa user who now decided to try DigiKam. I have several
picture collections stored in network shares (where several family members
store their photos), so scanning the whole collections is a slow process.

The thing is, I added one of these collections in Digikam, and now it has
started scanning for new elements, and as I expected, it is slow (I don't
mind, I can leave it overnight). My question is: Is it possible to display
the albums and pictures on the fly as they are scanned, in the albums
section? That was a feature of Picasa that made long loading times more
bearable, as you could start tagging/editing some pictures while other
folders were being scanned.

Thanks for your time, and congrats for this great piece of software.