[digiKam-users] How to install/uninstall digikam with internal MySQL database Mariadb?

Sky Diver skydivergm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 14:56:44 GMT 2018

Hey zwyklydigikam,

Reading between the lines, I'm getting the feeling that you're not a
MySQL/MariaDB expert :)

Anyways, I'm not sure if in the end of your sad saga you got Digikam
up and running with MySQL/MariaDB or not.
If the point of your email is a complaint about poor documentation,
then this should be directed to the developers.

If you didn't manage to make things work, then I can offer you two options:
1. I'm not sure why MySQL is needed for 100,000 images. Did you try
running with the SQLite database?
   If not, then this is the first option to try - at least you'll be
able to get a feel of what Digikam is like.

2. In case you do want MySQL after all, and in case you don't insist
on it being internal Digikam MySQL, rather an external installation,
then I suggest that you'll take a look at pre-configured AMP-based
installation bundles (AMP = Apache MySQL PHP).
Two that I can think of are WAMP and XAMPP. Others exist as well.
I used XAMPP for quite a while so I can suggest it as a good bundle to try.
The point of the bundle is to give you an already set-up configured
set of software, including MySQL.
XAMPP has a control panel which you can use in order to enable/disable
various components.
In your case, you can disable everything except for the MySQL instance.
This way you'll gain a ready-made MySQL server which will run on your
local machine at IP address: 127.0.0.1 (a.k.a. localhost)

If you choose to go down that path - make sure to uninstall the
MariaDB software you previously installed.
Again, all this - just in case you don't already have a happily up and
running Digikam + MySQL currently.

Either way - you sound very brave for getting as far as you already
got. Thumbs up!