[digiKam-users] How to install/uninstall digikam with internal MySQL database Mariadb?

zwyklydigikam epifenomen2 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 14:14:34 GMT 2018

This is my third topic, sorry, but cannot find answers.

1. First of all, problem with UNINSTALL mariadb and digikam.
Windows 10 uninstall Digikam + uninstall MariaDB (for fresh new
installation).
After uninstall i installed again Digikam, but when started i got message
about missing mysql.exe, and info path to my program files/Mariadb
10.3.10...thet i just uninstalled etc.
So i quess something left after uninstallation, so i uninstalled again, and
deleted all, databases folders. But still asking for maria DB insted of
staring wizzard.
I had to find manualy all digikam related files, and "maria" files in
program files, local, appdata ect.
After that, i could make fresh install.
Is it a bug? Is it MariaDB unistall problem or digikam, or both? If it is
good practice to leave files in system after unistallation (maybe config
files), i think it should ask if user want to save it.

2. Second problem(topic). Installing digikam is quite simple and with
pictures/tooltip. No problem when you pick default with SQLite, it just
works.
But if you have more than 100.000 pictures, you have to pick MySQL internal
experimantal database.
I have to download mariadb and install, the "Download" button redirected to
mariadb website.
a) Why there is no autodownload or autoinstall with default settings just
for digikam?

But ok, lets say i'm not afraid of installing databases on my computer. I go
to mariadb, download, and i have 2 versions of mariaDB for windows 64:
mariadb-10.3.11-winx64-debugsymbols.zip
mariadb-10.3.11-winx64.zip
b) Why there is no information what version to download for digikam?

But ok, there is HELP button at the bottom of wizzard, lets click it and
find "database" - nothing, lets find "install" - nothing, lets find "mysql"
- nothing, "SQL" - nothing. So lets go and read all help file, from getting
started - nothing (just somehing about SQLite).
I have to download PDF from website support, and find some info about mysql,
but still no answer.
c) Why HELP doesn't help? I quess it assumes we are SQL experts for DK.

But let's say i'm brave, and pick.... smaller file! Maybe it is enough for
digikam, maybe both are good i don't know, there is MariaDB version 5, and
10, dunno. So i start to install MariaDB 10.
Simple, next next, agree.
Then "features to be installed".
d) Do i need all feature during installation wizzard of MariaDB for digikam,
or just one, or two?

But ok, i'm got big HDD so lets overkill just in case, and select all, and
click "NEXT".
Modify password for database use root?
e) Do i have to check modify passord for database?
f) Do i have to enter password?
g) Does it change anything? Why do i need it anyway, and wthere to use it in
digikam?

I quess i dont need for remote machines, so i didnt check "remote machines".
h) Do i have to pick utf8? i think i'ts compatible with linux and windows,
but what digikam think about it?

Ok, I will leave it default, unchecked then, I think default is quite smart
most of cases, and go NEXT.
Another window.
i) should i install as service, or not? If not a service what then?

But ok, i will leave it defalt, lest try.
j) Enable networking.....I dont use networking, its local, but few users
checked this while installing some other software, cannot find answer about
digikam.

But ok, flip a coin, and leave it default, port 3306 sounds perfect to me
for my internal offline database.
k) Innnob engine settings with buffer pool size and page size good for my
digikam database?

Where is my coin, where is my coin... default again.

THE END.
This was my first installation. There is no help in digikam HELP and support
PDF. I was trying to use MariaDB help, but it was like reading a bible so i
tried some noob questions on google, but all of them installing apache,
linux, and some weird networking stuff with ports, and i just want my local
simple two exe files for my digikam MySQL.

I've checked like 50 pages of google with "install digikam database mysl",
"installing database", "why god why", and many more, all pdf's and help,
maybe i type something wrong.

And after i start digikam, there should be information that it will check
for new elements and it will take 10 hours for 1tb images: " OK" "Do it
later".

Thank you for reading my TLDR wishes and help
Digikam 6.0.0 beta3.
Windows 10x64
MariaDB 10.2 (testing for errors right now)

- Digikam noob