[digiKam-users] Anyone with a +300K photos internal mysql database?

Mikael Kujanpää mahead80 at nic.fi
Tue Aug 21 12:17:22 BST 2018

Gilles Caulier kirjoitti 21.8.2018 12:47:
> - SSD Samsung 1Tb to host all my collection (video and photo)
> - sqlite with database file hosted on a SSD
> - Linux system hosted on SSD.
> - 32Gb of RAM
> - i7 8 cores.
> - More than 250.000 files cataloged.
> - digiKam 6.0.0-beta1 (current implement as i code in fact)

Just for the reference:
- Digikam 5.9
- 109561 (719 Gb) files and folders hosted on network share (nfs). On
the server, images are physically on HDD.
- /home and system files are on SSD
- I use sqlite
- i7 4770k processor, 16 Gb memory

Digikam startup takes 54 seconds from clicking the icon to the point
when database has been cleaned and new items have been scanned (0 new
items in this test). During that period Digikam is unusable, but after
that everything works as well as I could hope. I find the performance
pretty good. Of course I wish that startup wouldn't take so long, but
then again, it's over 100k pictures (0,49 ms/picture) so I can't really
complain.

Rafael, I suggest to test the sqlite option. I had my collection also on
MySql server in the past, and while it worked okay, I have to say that
sqlite has been better. It's faster and new Digikam versions work
without issues (I was forced to make the switch when schema upgrade
failed on my db between digikam major versions and no-one knew on this
mailing list what caused the weird sql error).

--
Mikki