[digiKam-users] appimage

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 18:13:08 BST 2018

Flat pack vs AppImage : this is a good question

2 years ago I was contacted by the AppImage Lead developer to propose a
digikam bundle

I this tile I was already take a look to the bundles for Linux. Flatpack
was not really documented and AppImage very well. With the help of
AppImage, the Rita team which already provide an AppImage bundle I created
a first version in 3 weeks with the minimum features. Since this time I
create a lots of bash scripts to create the bundles with a good
documentation. This include also windows with a cross compilation through
mixe, and macOS using Mac ports.

Flatpack is more mature now and more secure from the start to send box the
application better than AppImage.
AppImage has now the same concept, so there is no more advantage to use
flatpack.

So I will not investigate to create a flatpack version of DK. If someone
want to do it, no problem, but I maintain the AppImage and my time is
limited

Other important point : keep provide a bundle factory including AppImage,
windows installer and Mac package
This use step by step the craft framework. This can be fine for small
applications, but for digikam we need something we’ll customized.

https://binary-factory.kde.org/

Perhaps, in the future, we will use this service, but for the moment, the
do scripts do the job well since a very long time, where craft framework
still under development ( I receive the mails from the team)

Voilà for this story. Packaging is complex job and take a while, but a
complex application badly packaged cannot work properly and finally, users
will report the application as completely bugous.

Gilles caulier

--
Send with Gmail Mobile