DLNA Server as standlone to be deployed on servers

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 17 23:26:26 BST 2017

On dinsdag 17 oktober 2017 23:08:24 CEST Gilles Caulier wrote:
> VoilĂ ... Comments are welcome...

Thank you for the invitation and the unstoppable work on DK!

I am really looking forward to be able to share specific tags via DLNA, as you
mention.

> - MiniDlna : it create a dedicated sqlite database that we don't want and
> it's not available as library. I tested this server and it's not very
> stable with large files to share. Streaming video do not work.

I have used MiniDLNA (outside of DK) for years without noticeable problems, in
combination with LG-mediaplayer, various clients on GNU/Linux and some players
on Android.

I do have problems viewing a slideshow using Kodi/Openelec on Raspberry Pi B2:
the system crashes in need of RAM while building the directory lists or
shortly after starting a slideshow.

> I implemented a dedicated media server with Platinum (and Neptune)
> Frameworks in digiKam.
> The digiKam implementation come with several improvements done by me :
> - Virtual album supports. We can share Tags, Labels, Rating and search
> albums.
Great! (And an impressive list of improvements that I impolitely removed)

> The client DLNA applications support that i tested are : (...)
> Sony Bravia TV, (...)

MiniDLNA has a switch to improve compatibility with (some?) Sony devices;
maybe the implementation on the MiniDLNA-side or the Sony-side is a bit off.
(If it is on the MiniDLNA-side: nothing to worry :-) )

> After all DLNA/Upnp are well standardized.

I recall reading that one of the standards is about image size: at the time I
read it, it was a ridiculously low resolution (but I can not quickly find a
maximum at the moment)

Best regards,

Boudewijn