strange thumbnails

Alexander Linkenbach Alex.Linkenbach at gmx.net
Sat May 27 19:10:35 BST 2017

Hi

when I scan my black and white pics and save them in 8 or 16bit dng format I
get distorted thumbnails in digikam, like three mini versions in a row in the
upper third of the thumbnail and "random" black and white data in the lower
two thirds. This does not happen if I save them as 24, 48 or 64 bit. Now I
could save all my b/w pics in 24bit, but
that means 110MB instead of 32 per MF picture.
If I look at the scans with a different viewer (gwenview) the behavior is
opposite, ie only the 8 and 16bit saves give me proper thumbnails. In dolphin
it depends on the thumbnail size: I get correct thumbnails for all scans at
80pix but the same as with gwenview for bigger thumbnails.
And: the file info in digikam for all scans actually shows 16bit, no matter how
I saved them.
Am I doing something wrong here?

Alex