What can the pixls.us photographic community help DigiKam?

Pat David patdavid at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 19:50:04 GMT 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 2:14 PM Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>
wrote:

You propose something about a static web site, so without a CMS. What's
> about the story of the site. All will be lost ?
>
> What do you propose as technical details for this static web site ? Where
> it will be hosted ? Did you have any example already done ?

The static site is simply the full website where all of the pages are
pre-compiled and generated.  In this way, the actual website content will
be served as static assets from the webserver (as opposed to having content
be created on the server, on the fly, by a scripting language + database -
which is the way Drupal does it now).

All of the content of the current site can be migrated to a static site, so
nothing would be lost (as far as I can tell from looking around the website
now).

You can keep the code and content for the website in a git repository.  If
you use CI service of some sort, we can likely include hooks for building
and publishing the site when content is commited to certain branches.  I'm
assuming you already have a host on the infrastructure your using for the
current website?  If not, we can happily host for you on the same server we
host https://pixls.us from.

The two biggest examples of this infrastructure in action is our main site
at https://pixls.us.
The site code is hosted on github at the moment:
https://github.com/pixlsus/website
Our articles and news/blog posts are simply written in Markdown and
included in the appropriate folders.  We commit, have the CI server call a
build script, and a few moments later we have an entire directory that is
our website, ready to be rsync'd to the server.  It's all automated at the
moment so a new website is built and pushed for every commit to our master
branch.

Another example of this is the redesign on the GIMP website from last
November (https://www.gimp.org).
The site code is hosted on our GIMP/GNOME infrastructure (provided by Red
Hat): https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp-web/
In this case, our master branch gets built every 20 minutes on the actual
webserver.  Our testing branch gets built every 5 minutes (
https://testing.gimp.org).
Just as before, our content is written as Markdown (but could be
reStructuredText or AsciiDoc), and placed in the appropriate folders.

The system is simple, elegant, and resilient to changes.  By only serving
static assets the security footprint is significantly decreased from having
PHP/Ruby/MySQL/postgre etc exposed to the internet.  The server resources
requirements are much, much smaller, and you can likely serve far more
people simultaneously on the same infrastructure without stressing the
server.

I didn't mean to barge in on Mica, and I apologize. :)  Hopefully this
answers some of the questions, though!

pat
--
https://patdavid.net
GPG: 66D1 7CA6 8088 4874 946D  18BD 67C7 6219 89E9 57AC