What can the pixls.us photographic community help DigiKam?

Mica Semrick mica at silentumbrella.com
Fri Mar 17 06:04:35 GMT 2017

Hello,

Static sties operate very simply: there are a few templates and content pages. The content is moved through the templates based on how the templating logic is written.  We would first do a little analysis to see what content you want to migrate from the current site to the new site. Then we'd identify any other necessary features. Then we'd use one of several export and convert tools to move the content into files on the file system, clean them up, then design the new site.

As for the history of the current site, we can migrate all applicable content, but if you mean database history, most converters don't exporting database history. You can always download a copy of the database in case it is needed for further use.

As far as technical details are concerned, I am familiar with the static site generators: middleman (ruby), hugo (go), and metalsmith (javascript/nodejs). As far as hosting goes, you can continue to use your current host as all a static site requires is a webserver and a way to upload the site. If you're in need of hosting, it can likely be done on the same server as the main pixls.us site. The static site is maintained in git or similar and access to add or alter posts and content is handled by a git host such as githib or gitlab. If CI is involved, then we can build the site on commits to the master branch and deploy the site via rsync or sftp if the site builds successfully. Examples of sites completed are my own site silentumbrella.com, pixls.us, and gimp.org.

Best,
Mica