Scan for new items takes ages after syncing collection btw. two computers

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sun Jan 29 09:39:43 GMT 2017

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 10:48:37PM +0100, news at tcrass.de wrote:

> So how does digikam decide which folders and images are to be re-scanned?
> How can digikam possibly 'know' that there has been going on something else
> than just local file changes?

It's probably because Unison updates the 'last access' date field on
the files and Digikam uses this to decide whether to resacn.

In Unix/Linux a file has three times associated with it:-

    Modified time - last time the file contents were changes (write or append)
    Accessed time - last time the file was accessed (read or write)
    Status changed - last time the attributes (owner, permissions, etc.) were changed

> The only idea I came up with is that digikam might somehow detects the
> changes in its database file's meta data (like file size, access time, md5
> hash value...) with respect to its last run on the same machine which were
> introduced during syncing.

Digikam will compare its database with one (or more) of the above file
times I expect.  A Digikam expert will no doubt tell us.

--
Chris Green