Scan for new items takes ages after syncing collection btw. two computers

news@tcrass.de torsten.crass at eBiology.de
Sat Jan 28 21:48:37 GMT 2017

Hi there,

there's one thing I've been wondering about for quite a while:

I use unison (https://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/ -- great
tool!) for syncing my photo collection (including digikam4.db) between
desktop and laptop computer. I take great care not to add or edit photos
on both computers simultaneously, so every syncing process is actually a
clean copy operation from one machine to the other. Yet, when, after
syncinc, I launch digikam on the target machine, it apparently does a
full scan of all items in the collection, which takes ages, even if only
a few photos have actually been added or changed. However, when
re-launching digiakm on the same machine without immediately preceeding
sync, the new items scan takes only a few seconds.

So how does digikam decide which folders and images are to be
re-scanned? How can digikam possibly 'know' that there has been going on
something else than just local file changes?

The only idea I came up with is that digikam might somehow detects the
changes in its database file's meta data (like file size, access time,
md5 hash value...) with respect to its last run on the same machine
which were introduced during syncing.

Any comments appreciated!

Cheers --

-- Torsten