UTF-8 captions

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jan 17 15:13:17 GMT 2017

On mardi 17 janvier 2017 06:26:46 CET Andrey Goreev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Digikam handbook says that captions are UTF-8 compatible (see the text
> extract below) however I found some pictures with "Ìåäâåäü ïîñë"
> simbols that do not make sense to me.
> I went through all the settings and did not notice any related setting.
> Please advise if I am missing something.

That fragment looks like you had some UTF-8 text in the captions that is then
displayed by a program that does not understand UTF-8 (but uses an 8-bit
character set). A series like that could be a text fragment in a non-latin
script, where each 'Ã?" stands for a letter. Note that, while Digikam can
handle UTF-8, only XPM tags can store it, IPTC and EXIF are limited to 8 bits/
char (and thus would give the kind of strings you quoted).

I can't be more precise, as you don't specify where you saw that text (within
Digikam's caption editor, its metadata viewer, or using an external tag
viewer/editor, or ...).

Remco