Digikam raw files and darktable

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jan 15 07:19:04 GMT 2017

On dimanche 15 janvier 2017 02:50:21 CET Juan Jose Casafranca wrote:
> Is that a darktable only solution? I dont want a darktable only solution
> but a global solution, for several raw processors. When I say darktable,
> its because its the raw processor I use, not because it deserves a special
> treatment.
>
> I still think that a solution  in which dk calls the raw processor to
> generate the processed image is the best.

I already explained why I'm not sure that's the best way to go.

But there's another question:
*How is Digikam going to handle the generated thumbnail(s)?*

If it's used to replace the thumbnail for the original file you have a file
corresponding to the thumbnail. But you'll get a lot of messages and bug
reports about missing images (cf. "always show original images"). And I want
to see the original raw, ideas about how to develop a file change, program
capabilities change, etc.

If you want to show it besides the original RAW file, what file is going to be
linked to it? You don't have an independent image behind that generated
thumbnail.

And digikam is still based on image files, with a database to support
searching and such, whereas Darktable is based on a database (with XMP files
as 'backup') to _represent_ images, and some images happen to have a physical
image file behind them (simplified, but that's the basic difference).

Related to this:
with darktable, it is possible to generate several images from one Raw file,
and none of these have to be exported. So which of the corresponding
thumbnails is going to be used in Digikam? and what are you going to do with
the other images?