Reading / writing MP4 metadata

Andrey Goreev aegoreev at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 13:48:57 GMT 2017

Exiv2 is a great project but it is heavily focused on still images. It is taking the exiv2 team years to add video files support and nothing  happened yet. It still cannot even read Date Taken. Having said that I think exiv2 would be a wrong tool for handling video metadata so digiKam might have to rely on something else for that.
The project I sent you can read and write pretty much any atom.
Also there is Media info that can at least read.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com> Date: 2017-02-27  11:16 PM  (GMT-07:00) To: digiKam - Home Manage your photographs as a professional with the power of open source <digikam-users at kde.org> Subject: Re: Reading / writing MP4 metadata
Video and image metadata are already supported by Exiv2 shared library. digiKam use Exiv2 and we don't need another SDK for that.
http://www.exiv2.org
Please contact Exiv2 team if you want some improvements in video metadata support.
Best
Hello digiKam developers,

I was wondering if this tool can be integrated in digiKam:

https://www.bento4.com/

Looks like it can extract and insert all sorts of metadata including GPS

location to/from mp4 files.

See the last post in this thread:

http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php?topic=7826.0

Please let me know your thoughts.