Reading / writing MP4 metadata

Andrey Goreev aegoreev at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 13:58:29 GMT 2017

I would prefer having all the data embedded in the file itself.  In that case I can open the media on any device including mobile devices (Android) and read the metadata e.g. location.
Also, as of today, digiKam cannot read Media Creation Date from mp4 / mov files and uses File Creation Date instead. So now the database is all messed up.
It has been this way for years and I don't believe anything is going to change at exiv2. Still images and video formats are just too different which is why Bento4, Atomic Parsley, Media Info and another projects were born.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Remco Viëtor <remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr> Date: 2017-02-27  11:55 PM  (GMT-07:00) To: digiKam - Home Manage your photographs as a professional with the power of open source <digikam-users at kde.org> Subject: Re: Reading / writing MP4 metadata

On mardi 28 février 2017 05:44:23 CET Andrey Goreev wrote:
> Hello digiKam developers,
>
> I was wondering if this tool can be integrated in digiKam:
> https://www.bento4.com/
>
> Looks like it can extract and insert all sorts of metadata including GPS
> location to/from mp4 files.
>
> See the last post in this thread:
> http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php?topic=7826.0
>
> Please let me know your thoughts.
> AG

Looking a bit at this (as exiftool is not really relevant for Digikam) I found this: http://dev.exiv2.org/issues/813 (about 5 years old). Looks like video metadata is even more of a mess than the photo metadata ('makernote'...).
And that project only used video directly from camera's (so no transcoding to other formats/containers): http://dev.exiv2.org/boards/3/topics/1189.

Also, do you really want to write into (possibly unique) video files (eq. to photo RAW images), or could a sidecar XMP do the trick? I guess that comes down to asking how often you use those metadata *outside* of digikam.

Remco