Reading / writing MP4 metadata

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Tue Feb 28 06:55:35 GMT 2017

On mardi 28 février 2017 05:44:23 CET Andrey Goreev wrote:
> Hello digiKam developers,
>
> I was wondering if this tool can be integrated in digiKam:
> https://www.bento4.com/
>
> Looks like it can extract and insert all sorts of metadata including GPS
> location to/from mp4 files.
>
> See the last post in this thread:
> http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/forum/index.php?topic=7826.0
>
> Please let me know your thoughts.
> AG

Looking a bit at this (as exiftool is not really relevant for Digikam) I found this: http://
dev.exiv2.org/issues/813 (about 5 years old). Looks like video metadata is even more of a
mess than the photo metadata ('makernote'...).
And that project only used video directly from camera's (so no transcoding to other formats/
containers): http://dev.exiv2.org/boards/3/topics/1189.

Also, do you really want to write into (possibly unique) video files (eq. to photo RAW images),
or could a sidecar XMP do the trick? I guess that comes down to asking how often you use
those metadata *outside* of digikam.

Remco