Idea for improvement of metadata sidebar

Jens Benecke jens-digikam at spamfreemail.de
Sun Feb 12 22:12:17 GMT 2017

Hello everybody,

I'm not posting this on bugs.kde.org since I would like some discussion
on this topic first.
I originally come from iPhoto and similar commercial apps. My workflow
when importing images (and videos) into Digikam might reflect this a
little - I find myself constantly switching between tabs in Digikam to
perform simple image management / organizational tasks.

I think this can be improved a lot by modifying the layout and usability
of Digikam's "Properties" sidebar (the top one on the right) and
converting it into a summary-/ dashboard kind of sidebar which covers
80-90% of all requirements in one single place. Currently it is just a
list of image and file properties and not used for editing at all -
which makes it kind of superfluous (IMHO).

I have created a mockup of how this sidebar can be improved by
incorporating simple editing tasks. The idea is that for simple asset
management tasks (adding titles, ratings and tags, editing dates and
viewing basic image metadata) you *only* need this single sidebar. The
idea is *NOT* to squeeze all possible metadata into one dialog.

This is a little inspired by  iPhoto's organization of metadata which I
found quite usable.

Please have a look and tell me what you think.

Thanks!