Exiv2 bug reports

Marcel Wiesweg marcel.wiesweg at gmx.de
Tue Apr 25 11:53:20 BST 2017

Gilles, just my viewpoint from someone who used to code a little bit at free
time:

Using an out-of-process solution like exiftool has the bonus that crashes dont
crash digikam.
It has the drawback of performance; metadata reading is quite expensive in
some situations. Inter-process communication can be a pain.

If it's based on Perl, this can be a problem for easy deploying on other
platforms. And I dont know if you speak Perl really well.

We have invested greatly in our exiv2-based infrastructure. There are hundreds
of bug fixes and problem solutions in the code that depends directly on exiv2
via C++.

In order to port all this logic, and to optimize IPC, you'd need custom parts
in the other process - probably written in Perl? - that need to be developed
by digikam and kept up to date with digikam.

In the end, make a calculation if all this work is really worth it.

Marcel