Coming from Picasa Desktop - help

Carsten Fuchs carsten.fuchs at cafu.de
Fri Oct 21 10:30:44 BST 2016

Hi all,

Am 2016-10-18 um 22:24 schrieb bjnovick:
> I have tried using the tag method, and also the Picasa way, Lightroom,
> Acdsee, PhotoDirector, Shotwell, etc way. (each of these have other reasons
> why they don't work for my family)  Let me ask - if tags and file storage
> structure work, why do so many DAM/Photo Organizing programs have concepts
> like Virtual Albums/Scrapbooks/PhotoGroups/Events?

I (too) am a former Picasa user and a new digiKam user, and so far get
along with tags very well, especially thanks to digiKam's features like
"Timeline" in the left sidebar and others. Combining tags and metadata
with these search and filter features seems to cover the described use
cases (as far as I understood them) for virtual albums well.

Please keep in mind that I'm still new to digiKam and maybe not enough
of a power user to have explored and experienced the limits of what
digiKam can do. Also, my albums are named like "yyyy/yyyy-mm-dd mother's
birthday", which helps me with organization a lot. And I have not yet
explored saved searches enough to really know how much they can act as
virtual albums (although it seems to me that virtual albums should be
implemented with saved searches).

Alas, what I really like about digiKam's albums is their straight
relationship to folders on disk. There is never any confusion about
this, and it helps a lot with working with the images outside of
digiKam, even if for nothing else but backup purposes.

It's probably purely subjective, but what I would really really not like
about a virtual albums feature was if they weakened and mixed with the
album's clear concept, introducing confusion where currently there is none.

Maybe it's just a matter of naming (i.e. it should *not* be "virtual
albums", as has already been suggested) and a matter of presentation.
But in a software as feature rich as digiKam, I think that avoiding
feature overload (or maybe, user overload ;-) ) is an important factor.

Best regards,
Carsten