Coming from Picasa Desktop - help

Noeck noeck.marburg at gmx.de
Sun Oct 16 13:22:59 BST 2016

I use tags (and colors and flags) for all these purposes:

Tags for location (Austria, Vienna), author (me), event (holiday), day
or night time, kind (portrait, selfie, landscape, ...), season, ...
Tags for publishing on the web and other audience.
Colors for the best photos I want to show in a slide show, but I could
use tags, too.
Flags for images to be sorted.

How is that different from the virtual albums you are looking for?
The only thing I see, that is difficult: Separating between tags that
are stored in the file and tags that are only present in the database.

I always found it to be a major strength of DigiKam that there is one
major sorting criterion: the file location on disk. It's good to have
the database and different ways to look at me photos and sort them. But
I always know where they are stored. And if the database would crash or
I would abandon DigiKam, the pictures are still sorted and the tags are
still stored inside the pictures. Thats a kind of interoperatability and
robustness that I like. For all secondary criteria, I can built up
simple or complex hierarchies of tags.

Best,
Joram