Coming from Picasa Desktop - help

bjnovick bjnovick at msn.com
Sun Oct 16 21:52:52 BST 2016

Digikam does not have one sorting method, it has many.  The sorting methods
are in the view menu and sort albums / sort images sub menus.  I think what
you really like is that all information is stored in the files.  I agree
with this and in the ideal case there would just be a way for digikam to
interpret a special tag.  For instance, if tag value starts with
virtual-album then the image would show in a virtual album with whatever
comes after the tag.

The tag examples that you give are exactly how tags and colors and ratings
are supposed to be used.  It is how I use many of them today, yet still find
it insufficient.  Primary Reason: In digikam you can do things with albums
that you can not do with tags.  These include things like sorting,
counting/displaying the number of images in the album, etc...    Reason 2:
It makes something that should be simple complicated  Reason3: It is very
easy to forget.  For instance if you tag with three colors each for a
different slideshow then 12 months from now you need to remember blue =
reason1, red = reason2, yellow = reason3.

There is already the concept of a virtual album, but it is only through a
search.  What is the difference between a virtual album where you select
specific images and on in which it is through a search (i.e. the query is
item is A,B,C versus the query is item contains "tag")?  You could probably
simulate this the same way.  Enable a user to create a virtual album with a
name and what digikam does is create a virtual album where search is "find
the following images ()"  As users add images, the search becomes "find the
following images (A,B,C,D,etc...)"