[Digikam-users] what do you use for backups?

Peter Albrecht peter at crazymonkeys.de
Sat Jun 11 10:35:07 BST 2016

Hi!

I've been using Unison (https://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/) for several
years now and am quite happy with it.

Main differences to rsync:
 - unison keeps checksums of the files to sync, so in the next run unison can
   detect whether files have changed or not
 - after detecting this change-states, the list of changed objects is presented
   to the user. And the user decides, what to do. (In most cases: Copy file to
   backup)

This way I can confirm: Yes, I have changed this file on purpose, copy it to the
backup. This is some work, but for me, it is worth the effort, since it will
protect my files from unintentional changes and encryption trojans, having
changed a huge amount of old files, get revealed before this changes are written
to my backups.

There is also an option to tell unison to always scan the backup files content
and compare those to the checksums from the last run. (Default is to only
compare timestamps on Linux.) This way, unison checks wether my backup HDD is
still completly readable and gives me good files.

Drawback: There is no versioning in my setup. I only have one state in time.

So far my two cents.

Regards,
	Peter Albrecht