[Digikam-users] what do you use for backups?

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Tue Jun 7 07:35:45 BST 2016

Thank you all for your replies.
First of all I have to say that cloud is not an option for me because
(i) I don't want anyone else have my files and (ii) I don't have an
home internet access with a decent speed to allow me to
upload/download continuously.
I don't encrypt my photos, mainly because I want my wife to be able to
see them without having to scream each time (I encrypt all the other
important stuff).
I also often do an intermediate stage at the home computer, so I have
another "manual" backup at least of the last period.

The problem I'm facing is to ensure that (i) the backup is ok and (ii)
the backup is in sync.
A few months ago one album on my master disk was corrupted. This did
not affected the backup, beacuse such album was "stable" and no more
backupped, but restoring from the backup revealed some duplicated
files due to a massive renaming of images.
While I can use the delete option of rsync (and similar), how can I
trust that the "to-be-deleted" image is really renamed and readable?

So far I'm also thinking about managing my albums via some hash-based
repository (fossil, git), just to catch up the rename process.

Luca