[Digikam-users] what do you use for backups?

Simon Cropper contact at simonchristophercropper.com
Tue Jun 7 01:27:22 BST 2016

>  I don’t know how the first problem could be solved without some sort
of validation.

I try and handle this problem by creating an archive at set times. A 6
month or 12 month backup if you will. I also capture the output from
rsync and dump them into logs. I  then use  grep to extract changes and
problems and  send them to me via email at the end of the backup. If for
some reason I have changes that I can't account for I can always go back
to the archive.

For more recent files maybe not assimilated into the archive, I have a
rolling daily backup that I can go to if something go awry.

Lots of versions, I know, but disk space is cheap and now that the
process is relatively automated I don't really encounter problems any more.

On 07/06/16 04:20, Wilkins, Vern W wrote:

> For my web photogallery, database, documents, etc., I rsync all that
> to a thumb drive kept at work, and also to an external drive at home.
> For my raw photos, I’m only able to rsync to an external drive at
> home.  I have over 1TB of raw images which creates a real problem for
> free offsite backup.
>
> Also, for those who rsync, be careful.  A while back one of my drives
> went and I realized that the rsync backups had actually copied
> corrupted files to the backup.  I also had a case where files were
> deleted on backup before they were successfully copied (they had been
> moved on the source).  I fixed the second problem with a different set
> of rsync options, but I don’t know how the first problem could be
> solved without some sort of validation.
>
> Vern

Cheers Simon

Simon Christopher Cropper