[Digikam-users] what do you use for backups?

bernhard digikam at kilmann.net
Tue Jun 7 10:43:35 BST 2016

there is quite cool feature in rsync that allows you to sync your backup
in a directory on you backup medium. Lets say you want to backup
/pictures on your pc in directory /week01 on your usb disk. standard
procedure is to do the next rsync against /week01 too which replace
changed files.

another option is to tell rsync to do the backup of /pictures to lets
say /week02 but use /week01 as base. in that case rsync compares your
files in /pictures against your files in /week01. If a file is not
changed it created an hard link in /week02 pointing to the same file in
/week01. if a file is deleted it will not show up in /week02 (but still
in /week01). if a file has changed it is copied to /week02 while you can
access the old version in /week01. So you can have several versions of
your /pictures directory but you need only disk size from /pictures on
your pc plus the space for files that change on every extra backup you
do. for that you usb drive need to have a linux filesystem like ext4 to
support hardlinks.

regards, bernhard