[Digikam-users] what do you use for backups?

Anders Kamf digikam at kamf.se
Mon Jun 6 20:03:23 BST 2016

I transfer photos and videos from cameras to a laptop where I perform an
initial sorting which involves rating, tags and occasionally some edit of
the photo itself. The collection on the laptop has a manual backup with
rsync to my server (which I run whenever I add new pictures or makes
changes to the existing).

Once finished with sorting, I move the sorted pictures to my server (so I
can access them from several “clients” at home). The server, where the
photo collection takes about 1.1 TB, runs a daily backup with rsnapshot at
a remote server located at a friend.

I consider rsnapshot, which basically is an automated way to use rsync,
quite feasible. Once setup, it runs daily without any need for me to get
involved.
It also saves weekly and monthly snaspshots, i.e. I can find accidently
deleted files (time machine).

There are several advantages with the intermediate storage at the laptop. I
can bring it and work on the sorting out of home, e.g. on vacation when the
camera is heavily used. But as rsnapshot saves old snapshots, I want to be
quite finished with the photos when they reach the server.  Otherwise I
might end up with two versions of every picture, one without tags and
rating and one with.

BR
Anders