[Digikam-users] what do you use for backups?

Simon Cropper contact at simonchristophercropper.com
Mon Jun 6 07:53:35 BST 2016

Hey Luca,

I haven't looked for a while but checked just before responding -- I
have 19668 files occupying 284.8 GB.

I regularly backup without any problems.

First, think of you database as images+metadata (in file or as an
associated XMP) and a separate database that consolidates this data into
a useful form.

Second, remember the database can be readily recreated from the
images+metadata. Throughout the time I have been using digikam I have
rebuild my database probably 10 times.

So, assuming all your images+metadata are in one directory you can use
any operating-system-based backup solution.

Personally I use Ubuntu 14.04 LTS as my operating system and rsync as my
backup solution.

My rsync commands are all stored in a bash script, which also
starts/stops/extracts data from other computers that the family use
(Windows 7 and various linux flavours).

I mirror all my copies so after I am finished a backup I have 3
independent and physically separate copies.

I hope this feedback helps.

On 06/06/16 16:36, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm keeping all my files on a removable hard drive, backupped on a
> couple of other removable hard drives (rsync and similar).
> One problem I'm facing is that while I work on the "master" I tend to
> move, arrange, rename images. This makes backup more difficult,
> because I've the same data in different paths between the master and
> the replicas.
> I'm investigating some more advanced tool, like bord and rsnapshot.
> What do you use for your backups?
>
> Just to mention: I'm using ext4 file systems and my data is around 290+ GB.
>
> Thanks,
> Luca

Cheers Simon

Simon Christopher Cropper