[Digikam-users] what do you use for backups?

Daniel Bauer linux at daniel-bauer.com
Mon Jun 6 11:07:39 BST 2016

Am 06.06.2016 um 08:36 schrieb Luca Ferrari:
> Hi all,
> I'm keeping all my files on a removable hard drive, backupped on a
> couple of other removable hard drives (rsync and similar).
> One problem I'm facing is that while I work on the "master" I tend to
> move, arrange, rename images. This makes backup more difficult,
> because I've the same data in different paths between the master and
> the replicas.
> I'm investigating some more advanced tool, like bord and rsnapshot.
> What do you use for your backups?
>
> Just to mention: I'm using ext4 file systems and my data is around 290+ GB.
>
> Thanks,
> Luca

Hi Luca,

I use simple rsync and alternate the external disks, so I have a least a
last and a before-last copy.

I have separate backups (twice, stored in different places) for
raw-files, as they are not changing, only new ones added.

Yes, there's a lot of changes of directories, images moving around, and
yes, this leads to a lot of deleting and writing new of same files on
the backup, just because I move the directory. But on the other hand,
this only affects the touched ones, while the great rest stays in peace.

Whenever I go to Switzerland I prepare another set of back-ups to store
it there.

My external hd's are encrypted, so if somebody steals it he's got
nothing more than the hardware...

Maybe my backup strategy is paranoid but I lived several hard disk
crashes (although long time ago, touch on wood...) and so I prefer a
little more work over painful loss. Anyway, the backing-up time gives me
just another reason to go to the beach meanwhile :-)

Daniel

http://www.daniel-bauer.com
room in Barcelona: https://www.airbnb.es/rooms/2416137