[Digikam-users] Using metadata tab efficiently

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 19:19:23 BST 2015

>>> I would like to display only a few metadata that I use regularly, so
>>> they are not 'lost' in between lines I don't need. But whatever information
>>> I check/uncheck in the configuration menu doesn't seem to be reflected in
>>> the metadata tab. Am I missing something?
>>>
>>> And I don't understand the difference between:
>>>  - "Informations sur l'image" and "Informations sur la photographie"
>>>

>> This first one is a resume of most common and important technical
>> information about the image shot condition. All these info are stored in
>> database and can be used to build a search query.
>>

> When I search for 'aper', I find ApertureValue and MaxApertureValue in
> both 'Informations sur l'image' and 'Informations sur la photographie'.
> ISOSpeedRatings and ShutterSpeedValue are there twice too. Same thing for
> FocalLength (and FocalPlaneResolutionUnit and X and YResolution).
> Isn't there a way to display things only once in the metadata tab?

yes, in metadata, there are a lots of duplicate data. But it's Exif
standard (and non standard as Makernotes). It's a mess legacy from photo
history...

Use Metadata/Display fileter from setup to only display what you want. On
top of metadata viewer, you have buttons to switch in filter view or not.

>>>  - "EXIF" and "Notes du fabricant"
>>>

>> This one include ALL technical information embeded in image metadata by
>> the camera. A lots of this information are encrypted for end users,
>> especially the makernotes. This one is for the advanced user. The DB do not
>> store all of them of course.
>>

>>> In both cases, there seem to be redundant information.
>>>

>> The resume is here to increase the visibility and the understanding of
>> technical information written by the camera
>>

> Do you mean the 'Propriétés' tab? That one is quite interesting,

yes. It's data resume for non technical photographers.

> but not very easy to read (many information, small police, texte centered).

yes i see this problem too using a 4K screen. We will take a look to fix it.

> Would it be possible to add the lens model in the 'Propriétés de la
> photographie'?

this info is already in the list displayed, if this is found on metadata
stack.

> And use colored stars and flags (for the rating and labels) so they will
> be more visible.

This also displayed into digiKam properties section from this view.

>>> Another I just notice: in the 'Notes ud fabricant' tab, there are many
>>> lines about Fujifilm, Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, etc. all of them greyed and
>>> 'Indisponible'. Why displaying all these empty lines, as I have not any
>>> picture from these makers?
>>>

>> You have certainly a metadata filter enabled which display all items not
>> found. Go to Setup/Metadata/Display section and reset filters to defaults.
>>

> I did reset the Métadonnées-Affichage in the Configuration menu several
> times, and then unchecked information I didn't want to display (GPS for
> example), but didn't see any difference.

Look the active filter settings on the top of metadata viewer.