[Digikam-users] Using metadata tab efficiently

Marie-Noëlle Augendre mnaugendre at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 18:48:04 BST 2015

>> I would like to display only a few metadata that I use regularly, so they
>> are not 'lost' in between lines I don't need. But whatever information I
>> check/uncheck in the configuration menu doesn't seem to be reflected in the
>> metadata tab. Am I missing something?
>>
>> And I don't understand the difference between:
>>  - "Informations sur l'image" and "Informations sur la photographie"
>>

> This first one is a resume of most common and important technical
> information about the image shot condition. All these info are stored in
> database and can be used to build a search query.

When I search for 'aper', I find ApertureValue and MaxApertureValue in both
'Informations sur l'image' and 'Informations sur la photographie'.
ISOSpeedRatings and ShutterSpeedValue are there twice too. Same thing for
FocalLength (and FocalPlaneResolutionUnit and X and YResolution).
Isn't there a way to display things only once in the metadata tab?

>>  - "EXIF" and "Notes du fabricant"
>>

> This one include ALL technical information embeded in image metadata by
> the camera. A lots of this information are encrypted for end users,
> especially the makernotes. This one is for the advanced user. The DB do not
> store all of them of course.
>

>> In both cases, there seem to be redundant information.
>>

> The resume is here to increase the visibility and the understanding of
> technical information written by the camera

Do you mean the 'Propriétés' tab? That one is quite interesting, but not
very easy to read (many information, small police, texte centered). Would
it be possible to add the lens model in the 'Propriétés de la
photographie'? And use colored stars and flags (for the rating and labels)
so they will be more visible.

>> Another I just notice: in the 'Notes ud fabricant' tab, there are many
>> lines about Fujifilm, Minolta, Nikon, Olympus, etc. all of them greyed and
>> 'Indisponible'. Why displaying all these empty lines, as I have not any
>> picture from these makers?
>>

> You have certainly a metadata filter enabled which display all items not
> found. Go to Setup/Metadata/Display section and reset filters to defaults.

I did reset the Métadonnées-Affichage in the Configuration menu several
times, and then unchecked information I didn't want to display (GPS for
example), but didn't see any difference.

> Gilles Caulier

[image: Agir pour le futur] <http://agirpourlefutur.com>    [image: Vallée
Borgne Info] <http://vallee-borgne.info>
<http://marie-noelle-augendre.com>[image: