[Digikam-users] Mysql/MariaDb database expert needs...

Myriam Schweingruber myriam.schweingruber at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 01:32:19 GMT 2015

Hi Martin,

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 12:34 AM, Martin Burnicki
<martin.burnicki at burnicki.net> wrote:
> Gilles Caulier wrote:
>> <mailto:myriam at kde.org>>:

>>     That is not correct, Amarok uses MySQL embedded by default, setting up
>>     an external MySQL server is just an additional option for people who
>>     need to share a database across computers.
>>

>> Ah, it's not SQlite... Interesting...
>
> As far as I have seen there are 3 possible database options: SQlite,
> "embedded" MySQL, and a real MySQL server. I think a difference may be
> between "embedded" MySQL and a real MySQL server, but (assuming a fast
> network connection) it shouldn't matter much if a real MySQL server runs
> on the same machine as the DK software, or on a different one.

Not in Amarok at all, I presume that is what you are talking about.
Believe me, there is only one default which is MySQL embedded, and an
optional one for an external MySQL server. Amarok 2.x has never had
anything else in 8 years!

The previous version had 3 options: SQLite was the default, and one
could configure an external MySQL or an external PostgreSQL server,
but that is only valid for Amarok 1.x

> I also had a real MySQL server running on that machine which was already
> used by Amarok3 to store its data base.

There is no Amarok3... The latest stable release is 2.8, the latest
beta is 2.9 and a Qt5 port is currently under way

Just to make things clear: we do not recommend to use an external
MySQL server, unless you really have to because you need to share the
database across different computers. There is strictly no difference
in terms of performance or scalability between an embedded MySQL and
an external server, despite what some people keep telling in various
sources. Really, we tested this in over 8 years and there is no
difference.

Hope this clarifies some points...

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org