[Digikam-users] Mysql/MariaDb database expert needs...

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at burnicki.net
Thu Nov 12 23:34:41 GMT 2015

Gilles Caulier wrote:
> <mailto:myriam at kde.org>>:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     seems I posted from the wrong address the first time...
>
>     On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Gilles Caulier
>     <caulier.gilles at gmail.com <mailto:caulier.gilles at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     > At least, somebody can said me if an internal Mysql solution is suitable or
>     > not without to hack the DB installation outside digiKam.
>     >
>     > I read all bugzilla entries, and to setup Mysql, users need to grant
>     > privileges by hand before to configure digiKam with it.
>     >
>     > This is not possible to do the same with an internal server, since few years
>     > ago, Mysql switch DB engine to ImmoDB which require granted privilege to
>     > create DB indexes. And this is typically the problem that i can see when i
>     > want to create the MySql DB through the internal server.
>     >
>     > If i look how Amarok do with Mysql, internal server solution do not exist.
>     > Only a remote server is avaialble in setup.
>
>     That is not correct, Amarok uses MySQL embedded by default, setting up
>     an external MySQL server is just an additional option for people who
>     need to share a database across computers.
>

> Ah, it's not SQlite... Interesting...

As far as I have seen there are 3 possible database options: SQlite,
"embedded" MySQL, and a real MySQL server. I think a difference may be
between "embedded" MySQL and a real MySQL server, but (assuming a fast
network connection) it shouldn't matter much if a real MySQL server runs
on the same machine as the DK software, or on a different one.

Until about one year ago I've been running an old openSUSE Linux machine
with digikam 2.5 or 2.6. since I've got a huge number of photos the
SQlite database was very slow.

I also had a real MySQL server running on that machine which was already
used by Amarok3 to store its data base. So i reconfigured the old DK to
use the local MySQL server, too. This was still working well with the
old DK version, and DK became *much* faster.

In the meantime I've bought a new PC with faster CPU, a large normal
hard disk to store the photos, and a SSD to store the Linux system
(openSUSE 13.2). Since current DK versions were said not to work
properly with MySQL anymore I configured DK to use the SQlite DB and
store it on the SSD. I'm still using Amarok3 with MySQL. ;-)

Anyway things became much faster with DK due to hardware enhancements,
but I still think it would be great to get MySQL support back. I don't
think we'd need support for the "embedded" MySQL stuff, just a network
connection to a real MySQL server on localhost or on a different
machine, if SQlite is too slow.

It would be great if DK had a "button" where it could create the MySQL
user(s) and table(s) easily, but users could also do this manually if
some instructions are included.

Unfortunately I'm also not a database expert, so I can't help much.

Martin