[Digikam-users] Differences in Pentax raw files?

Jeff Robinson jeffnik at anecho.mb.ca
Thu Nov 12 02:41:13 GMT 2015

Hi folks,

I've come across an unexpected issue when I got my hands on a Pentax K-3
body.

For years I've been shooting with raw .PEF files using a K100 and
Digikam has handled them beautifully.  With the new camera I decided to
continue using PEF files, but I've run into a bit of a road-block.

When I download the images into Digikam the thumbnails show up as
expected, and clicking on the image shows the embedded JPEG preview.
The Exif information appears to show normally from what I can see... but
when I open the raw file in the editor it shows (in what sort've looks
like a console font) "CANNOT DECODE RAW IMAGE".

Running Digikam from the console I see the output: IMGP0420.PEF: data
corrupted at 160706

I started on the assumption that this may be a newer variation on the
Pentax raw format, and that some of my libraries were not up to date.

I updated ufraw, which fixed the issue of importing the files in The
GIMP, but not in Digikam.  I assume Digikam's ability to handle raw
files is hooked into KDE... so I tried upgrading libkdcraw but this
doesn't seem to have had an effect.

I'd appreciate any suggestions that could help me out with this issue!

Jeff