[Digikam-users] Problems with Linux & DigiKam - Looking for alternatives or workarounds.

Alex Price seearoundwales at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 11:49:48 GMT 2015

Hi,

We are trying to do something big!

We are a UK Based charity trying to give 20 years of research on Points
Of Interest around the UK to the public for free via an app.

We have been using DigiKam under Linux Mint for the past few months to
attribute both text tags and geotags to a massive library of Jpegs (Over
half a million and counting). However, the setup isn't working as we had
hoped.

Eventually we want to have an app designed that will return various
photos based on a user search. This would allow the app user to search
either by GPS info via an open source map or by text tag such as;
Location, Child Friendly? Dog Friendly? Disabled Friendly? Cost. Etc.

In a perfect world we would be able to use one program to apply text
tags & geotags and do a bit of resizing and manipulation hence trying
Linux & DigiKam, but we've had a few problems with data loss and we're
not really in a position to cope with the extra challenges added by
trying to get to grips with Linux.

We have been advised recently by Dmitri Popov that MySQL isn't currently
stable enough with DigiKam (which certainly matches with our
experiences) although this might improve over time. Dmitri knows his
stuff and has been really helpful but it's not fair of us to overburden
him and I'm also hoping that multiple heads will be better than one.
With all this in mind;

Can anyone think of a program (or combination of programs? that will
allow us to do the following?

 1.

    Write our text tags and geotags into a database rather than the
    metadata of the original files.

 2.

    Allow multiple users to directly access our photos over a shared
    network.

 3.

    Allow multiple users access to a shared database over a shared network.

 4.

    If number three isn't possible, we are prepared to pay someone to
    write a program to merge our separate databases. (We would need to
    be able to run this program at will.)

We will be really grateful for any help that anyone can provide!!

Thanks in advance,

Alexander.