[Digikam-users] invisible images

Gian Paolo Sanino Vattier gpsanino at vtr.net
Sun Jun 7 04:47:49 BST 2015

> Since it happens to the same images on all systems, it seems to me the
> problem is with the image (nice image, by the way :-) )
> Are they all RAW-images, with (supposedly) embedded jpg-thumbnails?
> Could it be that the embedded preview is broken, some way or another?
> If "rebuild thumbnails" makes a thumbnail of png and jpg, and copies
> the embedded preview of RAW, then that explains why you don't see
> anything (assuming that is the problem).

More on the "invisible images".

I found a difference between the "invisible" and "visible" images.
Perhaps this can help to solve it.

I selected "Table" view to see all the images.
Then the right tab, "metadata".
Then the images that behave normally on "thumbnail" view, do not have a
dedicated paragraph "Embedded Thumbnail". In my box, their metadata
starts on "Global Positioning System". Now if I change something on them
with the editor and save as another file, these files have an "Embedded
Thumbnail" paragraph, with the fields:

- Compression  JPEG(old-style)
- JPEG Interchange....
- JPEG Interchange....

Now here is the weird thing. The images that do are "invisible" on
"Thumbnail" view,  also have this paragraph. So, I guess at some point
they were edited as well. But the content is different:

- Compression  JPEG(old-style)
- JPEG Interchange....
- JPEG Interchange....
*- Resolution Unit   inch**
**- X-Resolution  300**
**- Y-Resolution   300*

These last three lines are only on those images that are not seen by
"Thumbnail" view. I use my boxes with metric units, not inches. I do not
know if this can be part of the problem. Perhaps they were edited by
some of the previous versions of Digikam and got these extra lines that
may be not "compatible" today (I use DK4.10.0). If this is the case,
then this can be happening to other users as well. I am just speculating
at this point but perhaps it helps to diagnose the cause.

I hope this helps to find a better solution than editing each image in
ShowPhoto...

Many thanks!